BECKLEY, W.V. (LOOTPRESS) – COVID-19 has canceled one of Beckley’s favorite Halloween events for the second time. Leslie Baker, Director of Parks and Recreation, confirmed on Tuesday that the Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia’s Tailgate Halloween event has been canceled.
“It was with a heavy heart that we made the decision,” Baker said. “It was the same reason we made the decision last year. We know it’s a month away, but plans have to be made and people have to prepare.”
Considering West Virginia has the highest COVID-19 numbers in the country, Baker said the city didn’t think it safe to have children, many of whom are ineligible for the vaccine, be around adults that could potentially be carriers.
On average, Tailgate Halloween sees anywhere from 900 to 1,100 kids each year.
“It’s been two years now,” Baker added. “Who would have ever thought we’d have to cancel for two years? We just want to protect everyone and felt this was the best decision for the community.”
Although the city won’t be hosting the event this year, Baker says that the event will come back in full force next year if possible.