CHARLESTON, WV (LOOTPRESS) – The West Virginia Waterfall Trail continues to be a success and has now received over 20,000 participant check-ins since its initial launch in early June. The trail has received check-ins from visitors from over 41 states and 15 countries, those of which have completed at least half of the trail. Nearly 3,000 exclusive waterfall trail prizes have been shipped to participants so far.
“Our research continues to be proven true – folks really love waterfalls and I believe we have some of the best here in Almost Heaven,” said West Virginia Tourism Secretary Chelsea Ruby. “This fall, chase waterfalls surrounded by jaw-dropping colors for a West Virginia experience unlike any other.”
The West Virginia Waterfall Trail is a hit among locals and visitors alike with 69% of check-ins coming from West Virginia residents and the remaining 31% from surrounding states such as Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.
The five most visited falls on the trail are Kanawha Falls, Cathedral Falls, Blackwater Falls, Elakala Falls and Mill Creek Falls of Hawks Nest, which together account for over 1,000 of the total check-ins. Saturday continues to be the top performing day for waterfall trail visitation and participation.
The trail has been recognized by national travel publications such as Travel + Leisure, Southern Living and USA Today, all of which share in the excitement of this interactive way to help visitors find the beautiful, hidden gem falls that lie within the Mountain State.
Checking into the Waterfall Trail is a simple process made possible by Bandwango, a travel technology platform that makes checking in at each location quick and easy. To get started, visit WVtourism.com/waterfalls and register to have the West Virginia Waterfall Trail passport delivered straight to your smartphone. As travelers explore each of the more than two dozen waterfalls featured on the trail, they can stamp their passports by checking in at each location.
The West Virginia Department of Tourism is rewarding waterfall chasers with exclusive gear along the way:
- Check in at three or more waterfalls –– receive a custom sticker.
- Check in at 10 or more waterfalls –– receive an aluminum water bottle.
- Check in at 20 or more waterfalls –– receive a waterfall wanderer t-shirt.
For more information on the trail or to learn more about nominating a waterfall, visit wvtourism.com/waterfalls.