The Lootpress Player of the Week Award, sponsored by Bodyworks and The Law Offices of Brandon Steele, has returned for the boys and girls basketball season.
Below are the candidates for the fifth week of the boys basketball season. Voting will close Monday at midnight. The fan vote will be used in the event of a tie. In order for a player to be eligible or nominated, the stat keeper or coach must report all scores throughout the week, win or lose. Scores can be reported to Tylerjackson@lootpress.com and Rustyudy@lootpress.com.
- Cameron Thomas, James Monroe – In his first game back after suffering an injury against Greater Beckley last month, Cameron Thomas scored 20 points and grabbed 16 rebounds as the Mavericks defeated No. 5 Webster County.
- Adam Drennen, Liberty – Drennen was stellar in the New River CTC Invitational this past week. He scored 25 points and hauled in 10 rebounds as the Raiders beat a talented Mount View team.
- Adam Seams, Greenbrier East – Seams averaged 12 points per game this past week, helping the Spartans to a 2-0 record.
- Braydon McClung, Greenbrier West – The Cavaliers’ freshman guard scored 39 points across two games, helping West to a 1-1 record this past week.
- Cyrus Goodson, Independence – Goodson averaged a double-double this past week, helping Independence pick up its first two wins of the season. Against Richwood he scored 10 points to go along with 10 assists, adding 18 points and 11 assists later in the week against PikeView.
- Kendrick Wilson, Greater Beckley – The Crusaders dropped their first game of the season this week but Wilson was stellar in both of their outings. He scored 31 in a loss against Calvary and pitched in 16 in a rebound win over Westside.
- Evan Colucci, Westside – Colucci averaged 22.5 points per game, helping the Renegades to a win over Webster County. He also helped keep them competitive in a loss to Class A No.1 Greater Beckley.
- Cole Chapman, Shady Spring – Chapman played in one game this week but helped the Tigers to their sixth win of the season, a 73-61 victory over Class AAAA Cabell Midland.
2021-22 Player of the Week Winners
Week 1: Eli Allen, James Monroe
Week 2: Maddex McMillen, Beckley
Week 3: Chase McClung, Greenbrier West
Week 4: Kaden Smallwood, Greater Beckley