The Lootpress Player of the Week Award, sponsored by Bodyworks and The Law Offices of Brandon Steele, has returned for the boys and girls basketball season.
Below are the candidates for the eighth week of the boys basketball season. Voting will close Monday at midnight. The fan vote will be used in the event of a tie.
In order for a player to be eligible or nominated, the stat keeper or coach must report all scores throughout the week, win or lose. Scores can be reported to Tylerjackson@lootpress.com and Rustyudy@lootpress.com. Doing so is simple. All you need to do is take a picture of the official scorebook for both teams and send it to us.
- Cole Chapman, Shady Spring – Chapman averaged 17.5 points across two games as the Tigers secured. a 2-0 record this week. His late free throws powered Shady in a comeback win against Greenbrier East.
- Adam Drennen, Liberty – Drennen averaged 20 points across four games this past week, helping Liberty to a 2-2 record in the process. His 21 points against Westside on Thursday helped the Raiders beat the Renegades for the first time in 11 years.
- Shad Sauvage, James Monroe – Sauvage averaged 21.5 points per game this past week, scoring 25 in a win over Class A No. 1 Greater Beckley. The Mavericks finished the week 2-0 in large part due to Sauvage’s contributions.
- R.J. Hairston, Bluefield – Hairston continued to show out this past week, helping Bluefield to a 2-0 record. Hairston averaged 19.5 points and 11 rebounds during the week.
- Dylan Blake, PikeView – Blake averaged 13 points per game this past week, helping the Panthers to a win over Nicholas County.
- Michael McKinney, Independence – McKinney showed out with 25 points and nine assists in a win over Nicholas County on Monday.
- Colby Pishner, Nicholas County – Pishner helped deliver the Grizzlies their second win of the season with a 44-point performance against Westside on Saturday.
- Landyn Wolfe, Beckley – Wolfe’s 20 points against Oak Hill on Saturday night helped the Flying Eagles snap a seven-game losing streak and stay alive in their pursuit of the No. 1 seed in the section.
Cast your vote below!
2021-22 Player of the Week Winners
Week 1: Eli Allen, James Monroe
Week 2: Maddex McMillen, Beckley
Week 3: Chase McClung, Greenbrier West
Week 4: Kaden Smallwood, Greater Beckley
Week 5: Evan Colucci, Westside
Week 6: Tanner Whitten, Wyoming East
Week 7: Sam Boothe, Mercer Christian