The Lootpress Player of the Week Award sponsored by Mid-State Ford, Little General, Bodyworks and The Law Offices of Brandon Steele, has returned for the second year.
Below are the candidates for the sixth week of the boys basketball season. Voting will close Tuesday, Jan. 24 at 11:59 P.M. The fan vote will be used in the event of a tie. There are also changes to the Player of the Week voting pertaining to the top overall vote getter that you can read about here
In order for a player to be eligible or nominated, the stat keeper or coach must report all scores and statistics. Scores can be reported to Tylerjackson@lootpress.com and Rustyudy@lootpress.com.
- Ammar Maxwell, Shady Spring – Maxwell averaged 11.5 points per game as Shady picked up wins against Independence and Logan.
- Sam Boothe, Mercer Christian – Sam Boothe helped the Cavaliers to a 2-1 record this week averaging 20 points per game with a triple-double sprinkled in.
- Brayden McClung, Greenbrier West – McClung helped the Cavaliers begin to right the ship by averaging 17.3 points per game and leading the way to a 2-1 week.
- Brandon Isaac, Summers County – Isaac was solid for the Bobcats averaging 10 points per game with an upset over Midland Trail sprinkled in.
- Matt Light, Midland Trail – Light was good for 21 points per game for the Patriots this week with a high of 27.
- Jalen Cook, Liberty – Cook played in one game this week but made it count with a 17-point, nine-rebound performance against PikeView.
- Collin Fox, James Monroe – Fox averaged 20 points per game in a 2-0 week for James Monroe, scoring the last eight points for his team in a road win against Class AA No. 1 Bluefield.
- Bryar Bailes, Nicholas County – Bailes averaged 17 points per game this week, helping the Grizzlies finish 1-1.
- Noah White, Montcalm – White was electric with a 28-point performance in a Montcalm win.
- Jeremiah Jackson, Oak Hill – Jackson collected 14 points, helping Oak Hill steal a sectional win against No. 4 Greenbrier East.
- Goose Gabbert, Greenbrier East – Gabbert was good for 16.5 points per game for the Spartans who finished with a 1-1 record this week.
- RJ Hairston, Bluefield – Hairston helped the Beavers go 2-1 with big performances against Wyoming East, James Monroe and Mingo Central.
- Coby Dillon, Beckley – Dillon averaged 15.5 points per game against George Washington and Princeton, dropping 20 in a key matchup with the Tigers.
- John Rose, Greater Beckley – Rose was good for 26 points per game this week, continuing his torrid scoring pace for the Cavaliers.
- Kaiden Vance, Westside – Vance averaged 15.3 points per game, helping Westside to a perfect 3-0 week.
Cast Your Vote Below!
2022-23 Player of the Week Winners
Week 1: Goose Gabbert, Greenbrier East
Week 2: Eli Allen, James Monroe
Week 3: Elijah Redfern, Beckley
Week 4: Trevor Kelly, Oak Hill
Week 5: Braden Chapman, Shady Spring
2022-23 Community Choice Winners
Week 1: Noah White, Montcalm
Week 2: Adam Seams, Greenbrier East
Week 3: Brycen Sawyers. Meadow Bridge
Week 4: Braydon Hawthorne, Beckley
Week 5: Garrett Mitchell, Wyoming East