The Lootpress Player of the Week Award, sponsored by Bodyworks and The Law Offices of Brandon Steele, has returned for the boys and girls basketball season.
Below are the candidates for sectional week of the girls basketball season. Voting will close Monday at midnight. The fan vote will be used in the event of a tie.
In order for a player to be eligible or nominated, the stat keeper or coach must report all scores throughout the week, win or lose. Scores can be reported to Tylerjackson@lootpress.com and Rustyudy@lootpress.com. Doing so is simple. All you need to do is take a picture of the official scorebook for both teams and send it to us.
- Hannah Blankenship, Wyoming East – Blankenship played in one game this week but made it count. She scored a season-high 23 points on 9 of 15 shooting as the Lady Warriors defeated Summers County 58-45 to claim the sectional title.
- Anyah Brown, PikeView – Brown averaged 19.5 points and nine rebounds, helping PikeView to a 2-0 record and a sectional championship. She scored 25 and hauled in 10 boards against Shady in the title game.
- Cadence Stewart, Greenbrier East – The junior sharpshooter continued her scorching pace, helping East to a 2-0 record as the Lady Spartans avenged an earlier loss to Beckley with a win in the sectional title game on Friday. She averaged 22 points per game on the week.
- Abby Dillon, Beckley – The Lady Flying Eagles went 1-1, falling in the sectional title game but still advance to next week’s region co-final in large part due to Dillon’s effort. She scored 20 in the sectional opener against Princeton and 12 against East despite being the focal point of their defensive effort.
- Meagan Poticher, Greenbrier West – Poticher averaged 10.5 points a game as the Cavs went 1-1 this past week. Her 15-point outing against Meadow Bridge secured a spot in one of next week’s regional co-finals.
- Haylie Payne, River View – When the Raiders needed her the most, Payne came through. She scored 20 in the sectional opener against Montcalm and added 11 in a double-overtime win against James Monroe in the sectional title game. She nailed a pair of free throws at the end of regulation to tie the James Monroe game and hit another pair to put the Lady Raiders ahead for good.
Cast your vote!