Different and unusual have become a way of life these days because of various COVID protocols.
The same can be said for high school volleyball scheduling.
Normally commonplace every Saturday during season, a very limited number of large tournaments with numerous teams are being played throughout the state of West Virginia this year.
The Shirley Brown Invitational hosted by Woodrow Wilson this Saturday, however, is one event that will be played again this season, but it too will look a little different.
In past years, the annual tournament featured 12 teams split into three pools with the top teams advancing to an eight-team single elimination tournament.
This year the tournament will feature six teams that will play a round robin format on two courts. After pool play is concluded, all six teams will be seeded for a single elimination tournament.
The seeds will be determined by the number of wins, total points scored against and head-to-head competition.
The top-two seeds will receive a first-round bye in the single elimination tournament.
Along with Woodrow Wilson, the tournament will feature defending Class AA state champion Shady Spring and last year’s Class AAA runner-up, George Washington.
Independence, Parkersburg, and South Charleston round out Saturday’s field.
Doors open at 8 a.m. and round one action will begin at 9 a.m. with Woodrow Wilson battling Shady Spring on court one. Independence and George Washington will open the action on court two.
Tickets will be sold at the door and are $6 for adults and $5 for students. Concessions and t-shirts will also be available.
(1) Woodrow Wilson vs. Shady Spring
(2) Independence vs. South Charleston
(3) Woodrow Wilson vs. South Charleston
(4) Woodrow Wilson vs. Independence
(5) Independence vs. Parkersburg
(6) Woodrow Wilson vs. Parkersburg
(7) Woodrow Wilson vs. George Washington
(8) South Charleston vs. Parkersburg
(1) Independence vs. George Washington
(2) George Washington vs. Parkersburg
(3) Shady Spring vs. Parkersburg
(4) Shady Spring vs. George Washington
(5) George Washington vs. South Charleston
(6) Shady Spring vs. South Charleston
(7) Shady Spring vs. Independence