BROOKLYN, WV (LOOTPRESS) – The town of Brooklyn was one of the many coal towns that were located along the river in the New River Gorge.
Once known as Finlow, the town boomed under the ownership of the Scotia Coal and Coke Company. The Brooklyn Mine was established in 1897 and the town developed to include multiple homes, coke ovens, a company store, schools, and other mine company buildings.
By 1919, 385 people were living in the little town. The mine employed hundreds of men throughout the years up until the 1950s when the Scotia Coal & Coke company ceased mining operations in Brooklyn.
From that point on, the town slowly faded back to nature. Today, old foundations and coke ovens can be seen.
The town is located along the Southside Trail in the New River Gorge National Park & Preserve, which follows the old rail grade of the C&O southside tracks that lead to Thurmond.
Brooklyn is now home to a primitive campground owned and maintained by the National Park Service. The Brooklyn Campground features five tent campsites near the river. Camping is currently free and is first come first served.
It is located 1.8 miles from the Cunard Public River Access lot, vehicle traffic is permitted to drive straight to the campground.
The Brooklyn Campground is located at Southside Trl, Fayetteville, WV 25840.