WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senators Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), Ranking Member of the Senate Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, today announced $9,669,333 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Fiscal Year 2021 competitive preparedness grant programs. This funding was appropriated to help West Virginia prepare against man-made threats and natural disasters.
“As Ranking Member of the Senate Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, I have continuously made sure that West Virginia’s needs are prioritized through DHS and FEMA grant programs. Due to our state’s mountainous terrain, our communities can be susceptible to natural disasters like flash floods and mudslides, which is why we need to have the resources on hand to be prepared. This funding will also help support our brave first responders, as they tackle threats and instances daily. Our state needs to safeguard against both physical and online attacks, and this funding will help us bolster security on all fronts,” Senator Capito said.
“West Virginia must be prepared for any disaster or crisis and having comprehensive response plans and preparations in place is critical. I am pleased FEMA is investing in the Mountain State to strengthen our emergency preparedness and terrorism prevention plans. I will continue to fight for funding to ensure West Virginia is prepared to keep West Virginians safe during any emergency that impacts our state,” Senator Manchin said.
Individual Awards Listed Below:
- FY 2021 State Homeland Security Program (SHSP): West Virginia – $4,602,500
- FY 2021 Emergency Management Performance Grant (EMPG) Program: West Virginia – $3,803,954
- FY 2021 Nonprofit Security Grant Program: West Virginia – $606,426
- FY 2021 Port Security Grant Program (PSGP): Charleston Fire Department – $317,586
- FY 2021 Port Security Grant Program (PSGP): South Charleston Fire Department – $302,186
- FY 2021 Port Security Grant Program (PSGP): Wheeling Fire Department – $36,681